Thursday, January 22, 2009

Maut

Malaysia 2008

Details  cinema

Seen 16 January 2009

I try to bend backwards whenever I see a local production. In this case, I’m a bit disappointed. I expected more from the director, Bade, who has had quite a number of years of experience under his belt, behind the cameras.

The good things first, the camera work and art direction is commendable. The actors did their best but the overall direction itself falls short of what can be expected from an experienced director. Maybe the whole concept of death, life and its ramifications are just too deep a subject to be portrayed this way.

The heavy handedness of the hell fire and brimstone message of life after death, reminds me of the concerns some parents had when a school teacher showed to young schoolchildren a video clip of the gory scenes of after death.

The film leaves one with a dissatisfied after taste. It could have been so much better.

 

No comments: